Why does this happen for so many people? Why is it that no matter how many times we tell ourselves that this year is going to be different, many of us always seem to fall back into the same old patterns?
A lot of people blame their own discipline, but we think it goes deeper than that.
We believe the reason why many people give up on their resolutions is because year after year, they’ve been making the same resolutions. This means the resolutions no longer excite them. Furthermore, by making the same resolutions again and again, their brain has already been programmed to accept the same result—i.e. giving up.
If you want 2022 to be the year you achieve the results you wish for, you need to add a twist to your resolutions!
Give Your New Resolutions Pizzazz “The Office” WayIn episode 13 of the seventh season of “The Office”, the staff share their New Year resolutions. What’s interesting is how some of the resolutions were not the usual “lose weight” or “start a new hobby” kind of resolutions.
Michael said he wants to start flossing, Holly wants to start cross-training, and Kevin says he will eat more vegetables. Another colleague said they want to learn to do a cartwheel!
Can you see how these resolutions add a twist to make your goals more exciting? For example, telling yourself to “incorporate more movement into your daily life” can easily leave you feeling demotivated. But what if instead, you set the goal of learning to do a cartwheel? That’s a much more exciting way to make movement a daily habit.
In this article, we’re going to explore some fresh ideas that will put a twist on the same ‘ol New Year' resolutions to make your 2022 much more exciting. But before we dive into that, let’s explore and understand why it’s so important to have New Year’s resolutions in the first place.
Why You Need New Year’s ResolutionsThe New Year is a time for new beginnings and resolutions. It is a time when we feel renewed for hope and change. This is what makes it the best time to set important, life-improving goals and work towards achieving them.
While it’s true that you can (and should) regularly review and set specific goals throughout the year, a New Year’s resolution is more about taking a step back to reflect on what you want to achieve most in the coming year.
Having this grand vision is a powerful tool that will help us to take control of our lives and make changes that improve or transform our lives for the better. They help us to achieve our full potential and become the person that we want to be.
Science Proves the Importance of New Year’s ResolutionsScience has proven how having a grand vision of your future, such as a New Year’s resolution, significantly increases your chances of becoming the best version of yourself.
Sonja Lyubomirski, a leading happiness researcher and author of “The How of Happiness”, has been studying the power of envisioning the best possible future.
Her research found that those who wrote down a vision of a future for themselves—where everything has turned out the way they want and they’ve achieved all their goals—have more positive emotions, are happier, have improved coping skills, and are hopeful and optimistic about the future.
Creating a vision, i.e. creating a New Year’s resolution, thus makes you happier, optimistic, and more resilient, all of which are key attributes you need to achieve your goals and live your best life.
Now that we’ve covered the importance of New Year resolutions and how they work, let’s now look into some fresh New Year resolution ideas. We hope adding this fresh twist will inspire you to create powerful resolutions. We will also share tools and techniques that make sticking to your resolutions a breeze and make 2022 the year you win it all!
7 Inspiring New Year’s Resolutions
1. Climb a mountain, complete a half marathon, or anything else!Instead of the generic “get fitter” resolution, here’s a more exciting way. Select a specific achievement that will keep on encouraging you to improve fitness!
Maybe you’ve always wanted to travel to a specific place and climb a mountain. Or maybe you want to complete a half marathon and show off that medal to your friends. It could even be something simpler like finally being able to beat your teenage son at a game of basketball!
Think of specific achievements that you’ve always wanted to do, or anything that really drives you to get fit. Make THAT your resolution this year and you’ll be surprised at how much more fun it becomes to stick to your exercise routine and goals!
2. Work with a life coachWant to improve your mental health? Or maybe you want to improve the quality of your relationships? Then making the resolution to work with a coach is a more specific way to keep you on track with improving your well-being.
The other great thing about resolving to work with a coach is the reflection and accountability it gives you. A coach will be able to help you reflect in ways you wouldn’t be able to see how to do on your own, leading you to deeper insights that can transform your life. Having a coach also gives you the accountability to continuously show up and stay motivated.
3. Spend more time on a new (or favorite) mindfulness hobbyIt’s easy to say, “My New Year’s resolution is to become a more mindful person.” But how do you actually stick to this? A fresh way to look at it is by resolving to spend more time on a mindfulness hobby.
What is a mindfulness hobby? Basically, it’s anything that gives you moments of zen! Maybe it’s a breathing meditation. Maybe it’s painting. It could even be going fishing or playing golf. As long as it is something you enjoy and your intent is to be mindful while doing it, then it is your mindfulness hobby.
By resolving to spend more time on your mindfulness hobby, you give yourself a specific vision that will make your mindfulness a habit in your life. How much more time should you resolve to spend? That is totally up to you. Whether it’s 30 minutes a day or a few hours once a week, just make sure it’s something realistic that you can consistently commit to.
4. Commit to Discovering Healthier SubstitutesLosing weight is probably the number #1 resolution that is made every year. And it’s probably also the most common resolution that is broken!
One way you can make the “losing weight resolution” a whole lot more exciting is by committing to discovering healthier substitutes, which can make your losing weight journey feel like a fun, gastronomical adventure!
So instead of dining at your usual fast-food, start exploring other restaurants with healthier cooking. Enjoy discovering new flavors and atmospheres. You can also explore discovering new recipes at home. Who knows, you might just whip up a few new family favorites that are healthier for everyone to enjoy.
5. Drop a Habit to Pay Off DebtResolving to get out of debt can feel like a heavy burden on many people. This is usually because the word “debt” itself has a negative association and simply saying the word can make you feel down as you’re reminded of all your debt.
How can you make a more inspiring resolution? Try shifting your focus to drop an unnecessary habit that will help you reduce your debt or get out of debt completely by the end of 2022.
Maybe you can make a small investment in a moka pot and skip buying your morning coffee at Starbucks. The money you save then goes into paying off your debt.
This strategy can feel less overwhelming than stressing about how to find the extra income to pay off debt. It also removes your focus from feeling burdened by debt because your attention is now on the habit.
6. Pledge 1%Do you want to “create an impact” but don’t know where to start? Then make a pledge to put 1% of your time and 1% of your money towards a cause that matters to you.
This specific resolution gives you a more tangible vision to achieve. It also releases you from the pressure of trying to do something “big” that will make a difference. Often, many people end up not doing anything at all because they feel incapable of making that “big” contribution to help change lives.
However, the truth of the matter is that impact can come through consistent contributions, not just one-off big donations or grand gestures. So step up and pledge 1%, and not only will you be helping a cause close to your heart, but you’ll feel happier and more fulfilled too!
7. Commit to do something more for your careerAre you feeling stifled in your career? Maybe you’re eyeing a promotion. Maybe you want a new, more fulfilling job. Perhaps you’re even considering a complete career change or quitting your job to start a new business in something you’re passionate about.
Because of how big this change can be, many people who dream of a new job, career, or business end up procrastinating year after year. An easy way to make this easier so you’re not held back by fear is by resolving to do something more for your career.
What does this look like? Let’s look at some examples.
Let’s say you dream of switching to an acting career. Your resolution could then be “audition more.” Looking to get that promotion? Then you could resolve to “Listen to customers more.” Dreaming of starting that passion business? How about resolving to “spend an hour more per day” on your new business?
By resolving to do “more”, you can avoid the panic associated with losing security or the overwhelm of trying to do everything at once.
Equip Yourself with Tools to Stick to Your ResolutionOnce you have a New Year’s resolution that inspires you, the next thing you need are tools to help you stick to your resolution. Here are some tools proven to help millions of others achieve their goals:
1. Vision boardBy creating a vision board for your New Year’s resolutions, the power of visualization will have a bigger impact on your life. Looking at your vision board everyday is an excellent way to stay on track with your resolution while also reinforcing positive thoughts and ideas.
2. SMART goalsSMART goals are goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely. Creating smaller goals with the SMART formula gives you smaller milestones that are easier to achieve step by step.
3. Habit trackerOnce you have SMART goals, you need to break it down even further into daily habits that will keep you on track with your goals. Having a habit tracker makes it easy for you to stay on track with your habits while motivating you to complete it each day.
4. JournalingJournaling is a great tool to celebrate your wins and help you get through rough days by releasing your thoughts and frustrations into a safe space. Journaling can also help you uncover insights about yourself that can impact how you achieve your goals.
5. Values & mission statementFinally, having clarity on your values and mission statement keeps you motivated. After all, what’s the point of having a New Year’s resolution that isn’t aligned with your values or authenticity?
Visionbook Has All the Tools You Need to Succeed in 2022Visionbook is the all-in-one personal development app that has all the tools you need to succeed in 2022: a digital vision board, tools to create SMART goals, a habit tracker, a password-protected journal, and a vision and mission statement board.
If you’re tired of broken resolutions and you’re ready to make 2022 the year you make massive progress towards the best version of yourself, then make the most important resolution to commit to Visionbook!
Sign up now to enjoy 85% off our annual plan, and enjoy unparalleled support every single day to achieve your 2022 New Year’s resolutions.